The Transportation Department operates 38 regular school buses traveling 2,500 miles transporting approximately 1,600 students daily. Our buses are maintained and operated by qualified and caring school bus drivers, safety assistants and transportation staff with the highest regard for the safety of our students. The department also operates 15 activity buses providing transportation for school athletics and field trips.
School buses are provided to transport students who live more than one and one-half miles away from the school, provided the students live on a state and locally-approved bus route. Students living closer than one and one-half miles may be provided with transportation if there is space available on the bus. Convenience arrangements may be accommodated provided space is available and proper arrangements are made in advance.
|Blue Ridge School||Teri Walawender
(828) 743-2646 ext. 1301
|Cullowhee Valley||Sandra McMahan
(828) 293-5667 ext. 1406
|Fairview School||Holly Whisnant
(828) 586-2819 ext. 1245
|Jackson Co Early College||Melanie Jacobs
|School of Alternatives||David Dalton
(828) 586-4328 ext. 1522
|Scotts Creek School||Jill Cook
(828) 631-2740 ext. 1102
|Smokey Mountain Elem||Michelle Marr
(828) 497-5535 ext. 1704
|Smoky Mountain High||Jimmy Cleaveland
(828) 586-2177 ext. 2902
Bus Rules and Regulations
- Meeting and Entering the Bus
- On the Bus
- Arrival on School Grounds
- Entering the Bus After School
- Leaving the Bus En Route Home
- Passengers will select the safest route to designated bus stop.
- Passengers should be at the bus stop five minutes prior the normal stop time. The bus cannot wait for late students.
- Passengers will wait for the bus in an orderly fashion and refrain from fighting, horseplay, or unsafe conduct.
- Passengers will stay off the road while waiting at a bus stop. They will not cross the road until the bus and all traffic has stopped. When the bus arrives, passengers will line up single file and not attempt to board the bus until it is completely stopped, the door is opened, and the driver indicates they may board.
- Passengers will walk across the road in front of the bus in full view of the driver.
- Passengers will enter the school bus, take their seats quickly and remain seated. They will refrain from moving around or changing seats in the bus when it is in motion.
- Passengers will keep all body parts inside the bus at all times.
- Passengers will not throw objects inside the bus or out the window.
- Passengers will not shout, wave or gesture to pedestrians or occupants of other vehicles from the bus windows.
- Passengers will not bring glass bottles, stones, sticks, snakes, animals, bullets, weapons or toy guns, or anything considered dangerous on buses.
- Passengers are not allowed to bring any items on the school bus that will compromise the safety of other passengers or are against school rules.
- Passengers will not eat, drink or chew gum while riding on a school bus.
- Passengers will keep the aisle clear and never pile books, musical instruments, lunch boxes or other objects in the aisle.
- Passengers will not use profane or vulgar language or gestures, tobacco or alcoholic beverages while riding on a bus.
- Passengers will not be loud, boisterous or distract the driver’s attention in any way.
- Passengers will maintain complete silence at all railroad crossings.
- Passengers will not fight, play or scuffle on the school bus.
- Passengers will not tamper with the emergency exits or any other part of the bus.
- Passengers will not mar or deface the bus in any way. Students will be required to pay for any damage.
- Passengers will not tamper with fire extinguishers or first aid supplies.
- No person will ride a bus unless assigned to it by the principal or designee.
- Passengers will not litter the school bus and will help keep it clean.
- Passengers will use safety belts if available.
- A passenger will ride only his/her assigned bus and will leave the bus only at his/her designated stop. Only with permission of the principal or designee will the driver be permitted to allow a passenger to leave the bus at any other stop not designed for him/her.
- When the bus arrives at the assigned stop, passengers will remain seated until the bus has completely stopped and the bus driver has opened the door. Passengers will then walk to the front of the bus.
- If the road must be crossed after getting off the bus, passengers will cross ten feet in front of the bus making certain the stop signal is extended, and all traffic is stopped.
- If the road is not to be crossed after getting off the bus, passengers will move quickly away from the bus in view of the driver and go directly home. They will not remain near the bus to talk with, frolic with, or touch hands with bus passengers. Passengers will not stop to pick up dropped objects without informing the driver and receiving permission.