Jackson County Public Schools District Information

Our Schools

New Students

Welcome, New Students!

We are so glad you are about to become a Smoky Mountain Mustang! We take great pride in that distinction and hope you will, too. We think you’ll find Smoky Mountain High School to be an exciting and friendly learning environment. Please look at the Academics page of this site for information about classes and grading. This “New Students” page will tell you all about how to enroll at Smoky Mountain High School.

If you are a rising freshman currently enrolled in a middle school in any Jackson County public school (Blue Ridge, Cullowhee Valley, Fairview, School of Alternatives, Scotts Creek, Smokey Mountain) you should have already gone through the enrollment procedures outlined below unless you joined the school late in the school year.

Before You Enroll

Please make sure you have:

  • Proof of residence (utility bill, driver's license, etc.)
  • Current immunization record
  • Current report card or transcript from previous school
  • Special needs documents if applicable (IEP, for example)
  • Legal guardianship papers if applicable
  • Birth certificate
  • Phone or FAX number for previous school
  • Valid photo ID for parent or guardian

HOME SCHOOLERS: Please bring your home school ID number and as many records as possible.

TRANSFER STUDENTS: It is very helpful if you can bring a registration guide or course catalog from your previous school to help us determine which courses most closely match the ones you have been taking.

Where to Go

Come to the Student Support Services office located directly ahead in the lobby of the school’s main entrance (located at 100 Smoky Mountain Drive, Sylva, North Carolina 28779).

Parent or guardian: You must be with your enrolling student, even if the student is 18. If the student is 18, you will be directed to meet with an administrator before proceeding with the enrollment process.

Once You Arrive

At the Student Support Services office, you will be given an enrollment packet containing forms that must be filled out before enrollment can take place. These forms include:

  • Demographic Form
  • Home Language Survey
  • Indian Education Form, if applicable
  • Food Program Form
  • Registration Form
  • Transportation Form
  • Physical Form
  • Student Checkout/Health Information Form

SPECIAL NOTE: You are welcome to pick this packet up ahead of time to fill out at your leisure if you would prefer. The Parent/Guardian Affidavit must be filled out in the Student Support Services office after all of the other forms have been completed.

After the Paperwork:

Students who transfer to Smoky Mountain High School from another school will be enrolled and will start classes immediately upon completing required documents. We want this to be as smooth a process as possible. Please let us know if you have any additional questions by calling the Student Support Services office at (828) 586-2177 ext. 2500. We look forward to seeing you!