Jackson County Public Schools believes that literacy is one of the most important foundational skills for our students to build. We begin by focusing on early literacy development in kindergarten through third grade.
Students in Kindergarten through third grade are assessed using the Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy Skills (DIBELS). This assessment provides data about important reading skills that all children should develop to become proficient readers, including:
- Hearing and using sounds in spoken words (phonemic awareness)
- Knowing the sounds of letters and sounding out written words
- Reading words in stories easily, quickly, and correctly
- Reading with comprehension, the big goal of reading
- Understanding and using a variety of words and learning new words