Jackson County Public Schools believes that literacy is one of the most important foundational skills for our students to build. We begin by focusing on early literacy development in kindergarten through third grade.
Students in all of our schools are assessed using the mCLASS: Reading 3D program. This program includes the Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy Skills (DIBELS) and the Text Reading Comprehension (TRC) assessments. These two assessments provide data about important reading skills all children should develop to become proficient readers:
- Hearing and using sounds in spoken words (phonemic awareness)
- Knowing the sounds of letters and sounding out written words
- Reading words in stories easily, quickly, and correctly
- Reading with comprehension, the big goal of reading
- Understanding and using a variety of words and learning new words